Thursday, December 22, 2011

Daryl Aiden Yow Speaks Now


A second year mechatronics student, Daryl Aiden Yow has already gathered a bit of a fan base for his refreshing song renditions. We interview him to find out a little more about his music influences and interests!
What songs are you going to be performing for Open House?
I’ll be performing Fearless and Speak Now by Taylor Swift, and Untouchable by Luna Halo. I haven’t decided on the last song yet. I’ll let you know soon.
Who taught you how to sing?

I’m self-taught. I also play a little guitar.

When did you start singing, and what got you interested in it?
I started singing when I was 2 years old. The first artist I listened to was Mariah Carey. I was mumbling along to the music without knowing the lyrics. That’s why I can actually sing Japanese and Korean songs.  I can remember each syllable without knowing how to speak the language.
At Primary 6, I started a hobby of recording my tracks with a computer mike. I ended up buying a $100 mic. Now I have a condenser mic which cost $3000. It’s a sE Electronics mic, which even comes with a soundproof filter. There is no distortion at all. This is because I want my tracks to be as close as possible to studio quality as I record my tracks in my room.
I also put soundproof stuff (egg cartons) on my wall. I can record up till 3am. I can scream and my parents bear with it. They are the first to listen to my songs and they are always proud of it.
What are your music influences?
I like more soul and country music. I listen a lot to Adele and The Shangri-las, a pop girl group from the 60s. They started a lot of trends in the pop industry; they started wearing leather when no one else was wearing it and they braved through the 60s with their unorthodox fashion sense.
Do you compose any originals?
 I’ve actually written a few originals, but I don’t have the time to find a band to record it cause I’ve been busy with other events.
Events such as?
This annual modelling event called Vaunt Music and Fashion Festival! It’s going to be held at Azzura Beach Club tonight! I’m the event runner for it. Do come! It’s going to be fun!
Name a cover you would like to do but haven’t gotten round to it yet?
I’ll like to do Untouchable. I know I’m doing it for Open House but I haven’t started on it yet.  Ohh and I have tragic news!  I was recording The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel but two weeks into recording it, my mum banged into my computer (by accident), my computer shut down and I lost all my work!
Didn’t you save your work the night before?
No, I can’t save my work or it will be very hard for me to edit my tracks. Therefore I don’t switch off my computer for at least a month when I’m working on songs. I’m very particular when it comes to effects. For Speak Now by Taylor Swift, I took 3 months to record it. I didn’t switch off my computer for 3 months.
What software do you use to edit your tracks?
I use a mixture, such as Sound Forge, Fruity Loops, and Pro Tools.
On a lighter note, what’s your favourite food at NYP?
The Muslim Stall at South Canteen. The food is much cheaper than Macs. Nuggets there cost 5 for $1!
Any Christmas plans?
I just celebrate it with my family. We usually have a gathering with all our relatives. There will be a big Christmas tree with all our presents underneath. There is also a big microphone which we have to use to thank everyone after receiving gifts! Yes it’s a tradition! We will also watch some old video recordings of ourselves, which are pretty fun.
What’s the best gift you’ve ever received for Christmas?
A laptop from my parents, a Macbook Pro, because I didn’t see it coming at all. I just randomly mentioned it in November, and the next month, they got me one for Christmas. It was that good because it caught me off guard.
Catch Daryl Aiden Yow at our Night Open House at NYP JAM Finals on 6th Jan 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment