Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Avengers: Totally Worth The 140 Minutes


By Nur Mirrah Amit, Year 2, Diploma in Mass Media Management

To be completely honest, I have never been a Marvel fan for reasons unknown. I’ve never watched Ironman (which was one of Hollywood’s highest grossing films in 2008) and I’ve definitely never watched Hulk.

But I have watched Thor and most recently, Captain America.

And I thought that if these movies lived up to my expectations, The Avengers would too.

I was dead wrong.

The Avengers EXCEEDED my expectations, despite the fact that I had to sit in the front row, and battle throbbing headaches as I watched.

The Avengers featured a good mix of the most unlikely superheroes you could ever think of. Amidst of all the action, director Joss Whedon even managed to squeeze in numerous punchy one-liner jokes (delivered by Robert Downey Jr.) and a tiny bit of romance.

The 140-min movie managed to keep me at the edge of my seat with its outstanding cinematography, remarkable screenplay and wicked sound effects.

What truly saddens me is that those who do not have any background knowledge of the main characters will be lost when scenes are focused on a character’s past.

If I hadn’t watch Thor, I definitely wouldn’t have understood why Natalie Portman suddenly appeared on The Avengers.

But nonetheless, it was a great movie. And just like how Hulk would have said it, it was a SMASH!

Rating: 4 out of 5 popcorns







Mirrah is a Year 2 Mass Media Management student who, as her mother had reiterated, “reads all the time!” She consumes as many as three books a day in her spare time, and enjoys classics and romance novels by authors such as Mari Mancusi, CS Lewis, and Sophie Kinsella. She aspires to write for political science magazines like Time and Newsweek in the future, and also has an interest in fashion writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment