Thursday, August 12, 2010

NYP Celebrates the Journey of the Youth Olympic Flame



On 7 August 2010, NYP was the first of the six sites to host the community celebrations as part of the Journey of the Youth Olympic Flame (JYOF).

More than 5,000 students, staff and residents were at the NYP atrium to celebrate this occasion. The Guest-of-Honour was Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Our guests were treated to a number of exciting performances. These included percussion performances, song performances, fusion cultural and hip hop dances. There was also a heart-stopping abseiling act by three students from NYP Adventure Club.

“When I was first selected to do abseiling upside down, my first reaction was ‘Are you kidding?’ But I like challenges and decided to give this a go. So I had been practising three to four times a week to master this. I’m glad everything went smoothly. It was an honour and an once-in-a-lifetime experience to do this for NYP and Singapore," said Year 3, Diploma in Space & Interior Design student Muhammad Haidar Bin Tayib.

The highlight of the evening was the lighting of the YOG flame. Six NYP torch bearers were specially selected to be part of this relay. The final torchbearer, Nada Binte Ahmad Khalid, a second-year Diploma in Physiotherapy student, joined the Prime Minister on stage for the lighting of the cauldron.

“It was such an honour to be the final torch bearer. When I was bringing the torch to the atrium, I felt very touched to see so many NYP students and staff cheering me on. I was so overwhelmed that I wanted to cry. It makes me very proud to be an NYP student, and to be able to play my part in this special occasion,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment